General Winter Health Tips for All Children
We will get to some specific recommendations shortly, but when it comes to winter health, there are some tips that can help the winter go a bit easier for almost all parents and children. These include:
- Getting a yearly flu shot.
- Teaching good hand washing techniques.
- Encouraging kids to avoid people who are obviously sick with a cold or the flu.
- Teaching your kids 'cough etiquette,' which the American Academy of Pediatrics describes as teaching children to turn their heads and cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue or the inside of their elbow if they don't have a tissue, instead of simply coughing or sneezing onto their hands, which will then spread their germs onto everything they touch.
- Taking a reusable water bottle to school, like a Sigg or CamelBak, instead of using the school water fountain, which may become contaminated with germs, especially during cold and flu season.
Source: American Academy of Pediatrics. Winter Safety Tips